Friday, August 8, 2014

Crazy TV Show Fan #2: Muhan Dojeon (Infinity Challenge)


Previously, I've mentioned my first favourite TV Show in my blog. Here comes the second favourite TV Show being mentioned here in my blog. Don't get it wrong! This show is not ranked 2nd even though it is mentioned second as those shows that I've written are the ones that I like and feel that it should not be ranked, those shows are of different kinds. It can't be compared.

Here we go. The second favourite show that I'm going to talk about is a South Korean variety program, Muhan Dojeon or Infinity Challenge or Infinite Challenge (Don't mix up with a boy band of a same name!). 


(Credit: www.dramarecap.com, Main Source: Munhwa Broadcasting Channel (MBC))

To avoid confusion, the English name that I always use is Infinity Challenge or in short, IC. I've watched various South Korean variety programs since late 2000s. Back then, drama was the only thing that I knew. After that, when I had cable TV in 2008, I started to watch variety programs from South Korea. 

IC was not the first variety show I've watched and I only started watching it after I've watched Running Man, another variety show from South Korea. When you watch both shows, you will find similar hosts. 

Yoo Jae-Suk, the legendary MC, and HaHa or Ha Dong-Hoon are in both shows. Apart from them, there are 4 other members, Noh Hong-Chul, Park Myeong-Su, Jung Jun-Ha and Jung Hyeong-Don. Unfortunately, not many people know what's IC is all about even there are familiar faces. IC is not broadcasted in my country whereas Running Man is, internationally, I would say. So, what one of the IC's FB Fan Page stated, if you like Running Man, you would definitely like IC. That's why I started to like it.

IC started in May 6, 2006 as an independent program, 5 years before the debut of Running Man. Previously, it was only a small segment and featured crazy challenges. Now, instead of crazy challenges, they did a lot of specials like concerts, singing competitions, urban variety, sport projects and many more. Before Running Man played hide-and-seek, chasing people and tearing off each others' name tags, there was IC! ''Run away with the Money Bags'' (Episodes 110 - 112) was a classic example of Running Man, followed by Pimple Break (Episodes 158 - 159) and TV War (Episodes 275 - 276) and many more.

The ratings didn't go well at first but as the show got more interesting, funny and emotional, the ratings increased to a maximum to 30%. Although it's hard to hit the record again, IC still stands strong and ranked #1 most of the time in Saturday timeslot.

Unfortunately, for this show being on air for 9 years, it has suffered a lot. Since 2010, the show was put on hold due to labour strike in MBC. The show paused for 7 weeks. After that, in 2012, it was again put on hold due to labour strike. That time was a record, 24 weeks or 6 months before it was back on air again. When there was no airing of IC during the 6 months, I switched to Running Man instead.  In 2014, the show paused for 2 weeks due to ferry sinking incident. During that time, one member was caught drink driving and left the show. It was an emotional period as I could not smile and laugh when it was back on air again. Same goes to a Korean drama that I was chasing during my internship period, I stopped watching for a week as a respect to the victims even though I was falling way too behind the TV schedule. 

Overall, this show is great and all the episodes that I've watched were mostly interesting and funny. Recent episodes (Episodes 389 and 390) were the ones that I think I need to review and post it on my blog. Suddenly, this becomes a so-called an Individual Crazy Fan Blog which many posts consists of IC. Hopefully, it can be a long running show like what my first favourite show has done.

That's all for my 2nd Crazy TV Show Fan post. Till next time, bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment